Instagram, the photo and video sharing social media platform, is one of the most popular virtual sites where teens hang out. It has a worldwide presence and hosts many legitimate celebrity accounts as well. It allows users to upload photos and videos and also has a feature called “Stories” which lets users post sequential pictures and media and the viewer’s get to see it in a ‘flow’. Users can ‘like’ and comment on photos on a feed.
Earlier Instagram was only available for iOS, but later it was extended to Android, Windows and Windows Mobile as well. A feature-limited desktop browser compatible website is also present.
If you want to sign-up for Instagram and don’t have access to a phone, fret not.
Here are the steps you need to follow to sign-up on Instagram through any web-browser, irrespective of platform. All you need is a working Internet connection.
Also Read: Benefits of Facebook Business Page
- Head to www.instagram.com.
- Next, you’ll see a screen where you will need to provide login credentials or sign-up.
If you want to sign-up using Facebook, click on the appropriate link and you’ll be directed to the Facebook Login Page. Enter your username and password and grant Instagram all the permissions it asks for. You have now successfully made an account on Instagram linked to your Facebook account.
- If you want to sign-up through your e-mail, click on the necessary link and you’ll be directed to a page where you need to fill in some information. Once you are done, click ‘Register’.
That’s all you need to make an account online on Instagram.
*If you already have an account open on the PC or whatever platform you are using, you need to log out first.
If the fields of an e-mail address and signing-up are missing, trying clearing up cookies or opening the site in an incognito tab on Chrome.
The above method, however, has some disadvantages. You cannot upload photos, videos or any media whatsoever. Nor can you tag people on photos.
This seemingly gargantuan roadblock can be sidestepped with ease if you are technically savvy enough to follow the next set of steps.
For Windows and Linux Users:
- The basic principle to be followed in making Instagram think that a phone is accessing the site. So all you need to do is change the ‘User Agent’ of the browser. Log in to your Instagram account with Chrome or Firefox and right click on the web page and select ‘Inspect’.
- A new panel should appear filled with HTML code. You’ll find a tablet and phone icon on the top left (right for Firefox) corner of the panel. Click on it to switch to the mobile view. From here on, you have all the features that are present in the app.
For Mac Users:
If you are on Mac, you, probably, are using Safari. No worries.
- Click on the Menu and go over to Preferences.
- Go to the Advanced section and check “Show Develop menu in menu bar” at the bottom.
- Open a private window and select the ‘Develop’ and ‘User Agent’ and select an iOS device.
You can start accessing the coveted mobile features on the Safari Browser from here.
The Windowed Browser is a mobile browser that’s compatible with PCs too. It’s free to use and boasts a simple interface.
- Install the browser from https://windowed.io/download.
- Log in to Instagram using the browser.
You can even watch the below video to know how to sign up for Instagram without App:
You could also use Bluestacks or any other Android or iOS emulator to access Instagram.
- Download and install Bluestacks on your computer.
- Launch the app.
- Download the app from the Google PlayStore or transfer the APK file to the emulator file system.
After completion of the installation procedure, you can view your Instagram feed once you log in to your account.
Instagram App for Windows
You could directly download and install the Instagram app from the Windows app store. The app has most of the features available on the mobile app. You can upload, apply filters, crop and edit photos and videos.
With so many options presented, it’s almost certain that I’ve got almost every situation covered. It’s up to you to choose which of the above works best for you. Good Luck!