Before jumping onto our topic i advise you to read my previous post about cryptography first then read this post.
so lets know what we are going to talk about today. As a hacker it is important to know about cryptanalysis and encryption algorithms because as a hacker u have to break that encryption to get your desired information from a victim.so without wasting time lets know that.
what is cryptanalysis?
cryptanalysis is a actually the study about ciphers and and getting the information from ciphers without actually knowing the key to decrypt that cipher.in other words we can say that it an attempt to decrypt the cipher text to get plain text by using different algorithms or mathematical calculations without the use of the key that was used to encrypt information. This type of attacks success depends on time available,computing ability and storage capacity
THE MOST COMMMON TYPE OF CRYPTANALYSIS ATTACKS ARE:
- Brute force attack:- In this attack there are algorithms that try to guess all the possible logical combinations of the plaintext which are then ciphered and compared against the original cipher. Brute-force attacks work by calculating every possible combination that could make up a password and testing it to see if it is the correct password. As the password’s length increases, the amount of time, on average, to find the correct password increases exponentially.
- Dictionary attack:-In this of attack there is a predefined dictionary to find a match of either the plaintext or key. It is mostly used when trying to crack encrypted passwords. If u have ever tried to hack wifi then u may know this.
- Rainbow table attack:-In this type of attack the cipher text is compared with pre-computed hashes to find matches.this method is not much used as brute force or dictionary attack because brute force and dictionary attack are much fairly simple.
what is cryptology?
It is nothing but combination of cryptography and cryptanalysis.
Encryption is the process by which plain text is converted into cipher text which can be decoded back to plain text. To encrypt and decrypt many encryption algorithms along with a key are used.there are several encryption algorithms which form the basis of networking ; some of them are discussed under:
- MD5 :- This is a hash function which produces a 128 bit hash value.it is not that much secure it has many vulnerabilities .it full form is MESSAGE DIGEST.it can be easily cracked down by brute force attack.it can encrypt passwords as well as check data integrity(data is corrupt or not).but it is not advised to use md5 nowadays for encrypting passwords .but still it can used to check data integrity.for example may file server provide checksum files so that the user can compare that the file he downloaded is arrived intact or not.if you had ever downloaded a custom rom or flashable zips in android you will see that those files have md5 encryption only to check their data integrity so that is a file is corrupt then you will be able to cancel that flash before anything goes wrong.
- SHA :- This belongs to the family of cryptographic has functions.its full form is SECURE HASH ALGORITHM . It has the following available version:
- SHA-0 : It is a 160-bit hash function meaning that it produces 160 bit values. It was withdrawn shortly after publication due to an undisclosed “significant flaw” and replaced by the slightly revised version SHA-1.
- SHA-1 : A 160-bit hash function which resembles the earlier MD5 algorithm.Cryptographic weaknesses were discovered in SHA-1 since then it is not used.
- SHA-2: A family of two similar hash functions known as SHA-256 and SHA-512.SHA-256 uses 32-bit words whereas SHA-512 uses 64-bit words.
- SHA-3: A hash function formerly called Keccak. It supports the same hash lengths as SHA-2, and its internal structure differs significantly from the rest of the SHA family.
3.RC4 :– It is a stream ciphers. it is remarkable for its simplicity and speed.though many vulnerabilities have been found in this.It is mostly used in protocols such as Secure Socket Layer (SSL) to encrypt internet communication and Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) to secure wireless networks.
4. BLOWFISH : – This encryption algorithm is used to create symmetric-key block ciphers. It can be used to encrypt passwords and other data.
I hope this basic detail help you for more stuff about hacking visit : Hacking Tutorial
Latest posts by Sahil (see all)
- How to recover gmail account password (Gmail Recovery Guide)? - June 7, 2018
- What is a man in the middle(MITM) attack and how to prevent it? - August 4, 2017
- What is cryptanalysis,cryptology and encryption algorithms? - July 10, 2017